5/21/09

Ode to Banana


8:56 pm
Room

ODE TO BANANA

No, I am not referring to the fruit.

Banana is my half-japanese spitz, half mongrel dog who’s currently dying from a cyst that grew as big as an average-sized pillow in her tummy. She just turned 13 years old this month.

It is very painful watching her cry in silence and take in all the pain. Human beings at least can scream and let everyone know they are in pain. My banana just stares at me as if telling me to help take her pain away. She can no longer walk, and can barely lift her head to drink water.

I know at this point, it is useless to bring her to a vet where her cyst could be removed. She’s weak now and very old. All I can do is make her as comfortable as she can. I’ve placed a blanket in her cage to keep the insects from disturbing her sleep. I helped her drink water. I called her name over and over- hoping all these will help soothe the pain away.

I couldn’t help but cry at the sight of her.

She was my bestfriend. I don’t really know if it has been proven that dogs can sense when their masters are sad or are sick. When I was either of the two, she knew. She would rest her head in my lap. She would let me know that she’s there for me. I try my best to make her feel that I am there for her completely. She’s very popular among my closest friends-as they don’t share the same sentiments I have about her.. It’s the perfect opposite. They hated banana for being fierce to them. She was only loyal and kind to me. She was very scary to other folks. Despite that, I have nothing but love for my dog. I sincerely apologized to my friends afterwards.

This afternoon, I prayed for God to “take her now, take her pain away. Please don’t let my dog suffer. Let her go to heaven where she can join the angels and the rest of the dogs in heaven. She did nothing but good to me and to my family.”

I hope it’s a better day for her tomorrow.

allvoices

1 comment:

trish said...

As of 4 pm yesterday, my dog, banana, just died. :(

 
Custom Search